Sunday, February 19, 2017

Remix the Remixes

What I love about music lately is the amount of remixes done to the original music.  I especially love a good remix since it offers something else from the original music.  What makes a good remix is open to discussion but in my opinion, a good remix will have elements of the original music plus something else that will make it stand out from the original.  If the remix doesn't have elements of the original music, the listener won't know if the remix is actually a remix or just an original piece of music.  The remix also needs something different from the original music so that listener knows that they are listening to a remix.  A good example of this is the remix below.  It has both elements of Lucio's music plus music from the Heroes of the Storm.  Check it out here:



You can clearly hear both music elements clearly (the faster portion of the music belongs to Lucio's music while the slower music belongs to the music of the Heroes of the Storm).  These two music elements is blended together very nicely so that it fits with each other.  This remix probably wouldn't have worked if either music portion wasn't sounding too great or if the two combined elements didn't mesh with each other. 

There are many remixes that I really love listening to over and over again.  One is the remix of Samurai (done by my friend Juan Obando).  What he did was add some drums to the original music of Samurai.  Since Samurai is already my favorite music, the added drums were a nice bonus to the music.  I also love listening to unseung's remixes (especially his Masters of the Universe, Pistolero, God Is God and Navras).  Unseung does a wonderful job of putting film quotes (and other various quotes) into the original music.  It gives the remix an added depth that wasn't previously there.  There are plenty more examples of "good" remixes but I won't try and cover all of them right now (maybe later). 

Unfortunately, with "good" remixes, there are also examples of "bad" remixes.  Again, I won't try to name these remixes but there are plenty of examples of what I call "bad" remixes.  Sometimes the remix will take the original music too far so that the original music gets lost in the remix.  Other times, the remix isn't too much different from the original making it hard to differentiate from the original music.  Anyways, I always take the time to listen to these remixes, especially when I really liked the original music.  I hope one day to learn how to remix a music piece.  I have no clue as to how to do it since composing music isn't my thing.  I envy anybody that can make a good remix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment